District 3 Commissioner
Henry County Board of Commissioners
Gary is a fifth-generation Henry County native; his family came to Henry County prior to 1850. He grew up in McDonough and attended Henry County High School and Griffin Tech. He and his wife, Becky, have been married 34 years. They have two sons, Adam and Josh, and five grandchildren. Gary grew up in Mt. Bethel Methodist Church, but now attends Sharon Baptist Church. He retired from the City of McDonough with 31 years of public service experience, and was Director of Public Works, a department head participating in City Council meetings. He prepared and managed five department budgets that were under his supervision, and he was also Chairman of the Parks and Beautification Committee of McDonough.
Gary received the following:
- County Commissioner Certification through the University of Georgia’s Carl Vinson Institute of Government and the Association of County Commissioners of Georgia (ACCG)
- Character First Award with the City of McDonough
- Certificates of Local Government management Levels #1, #2, and #3 from the University of Georgia.
- Certificate of Public Works Management in cooperation with the Georgia Municipal Association and Georgia Chapter of Public Works, University of Georgia.
- Advanced Certification of Public Works Management from the American Public Works Association, University of Georgia.
- Several levels of certificates for National Incident Management System (NIMS).
He is currently completing the certification course for the Association County Commissioners of Georgia (ACCG)”.
Gary enjoys sports and appreciates the values that team sports can teach children. He played baseball for many years, and then began coaching Little League. He became involved in the Henry County Booster Club, coaching youth baseball, basketball and football. He was VP of McDonough Youth Association, President and VP of the South Metro Umpire Association, and umpired the first Roberto Clemente World Series held in McDonough. He was inducted into the Henry County Recreation Hall of Fame for outstanding work with Henry County youth.
Gary was a McDonough volunteer fireman, and received his First Class Firefighter Certificate. He served on the committee for the Olympic Torch Relay and the Paralympics Torch Relay which traveled through McDonough. For several years, he has participated in the annual Mayor’s Motorcade, delivering Christmas gifts to Milledgeville Central State Hospital. He was responsible for bringing the first Veterans Day Program to the square, and he was also the Henry County Fair Chairman and helped organize County Fair Day for the ‘Special Needs Community.”
Gary was President/VP of the Kiwanis Club, an active member or both First Families of Henry County and the Henry County Moose Lodge, and he delivers Meals-On-Wheels to the senior citizens of Henry County.
Phone: (770) 288-6001
Other District 3 Information
District 3: Monthly SPLOST Report (PDF)
District 3 Map (PDF)
District 3 News