Henry County, GA - Home Henry County Board of Commissioners | Henry County, Georgia

Henry County, GA

Contact henry County Government
Driving Directions
Our Locations
Main Office:
(770) 288-7000
Hidden Valley:
(770) 288-7002
(770) 288-7001
Locust Grove:
(770) 288-6944

Henry County Senior Services

Senior Center FAQ

What is a senior center?  How is different from Assisted Living, Adult Day Care and Personal Care Homes?
A senior center is a social/recreational, community facility for persons aged 55 or above to interact with their peers and pursue mutual interests. Seniors who attend the centers must be mentally and physically able to care for themselves. Adult Day Care facilities and Personal Care Homes provide their clients with individual supervision, medical personnel, and personal care assistance. The senior center is a non-secure facility and individuals are able to come and go at will. The senior centers are not appropriate for those with impaired memory and we do not provide personal care assistance or medication monitoring.

How old do you have to be?
You have to be at least 55 years old.

Do I have to be a resident of Henry County?
No, but there is a fee you must pay if you are not a Henry County resident.

Is there a fee to register or become a member?
No, membership is free. Members are required to update their personal information once a year. Having current information enables us to better assist you in the event of an emergency.

How do I register?
Download, print and complete the registration form found on our website or pick up an application at one of our centers. Bring your completed application and turn in at front desk of center. If you need transportation to attend the center, please call and make an appointment with the manager at the senior center and bring in your completed registration form.

What services/activities do you offer? Is there a cost?
We offer a variety of classes and activities; including crafts, exercise programs, billiards, trips, line dancing and a cafeteria. Please download our quarterly calendar for a complete listing of classes/activities. Many of our events and programs are free. Some classes require instructor fees and/or material costs.

How do I register for a class?  What happens then?
Simply complete a class registration form and turn in to the front desk. The instructor should contact you within two weeks to answer any questions you may have.

Where are the senior centers and how do I get there?
We have three senior centers in Henry County. One is located in McDonough just off Hwy. 81 East behind the library. The second is located in the Fairview community just off Fairview Rd in the Hidden Valley park complex. The third senior center is located in the Locust Grove Conference Center at 280 Mose Brown. Detailed directions are available on the main page of our website.

Is transportation to the centers available?
Yes. Transportation is available to the senior center through Henry County Transit Please contact the manager of the senior center closest to you to schedule an appointment to be placed on the transit schedule.

What trips are available?
We have a variety of trip options – short day trips to shopping destinations and local points of interest; extended day and overnight trips; extended tours of several days/weeks in and out of the U.S.

What’s for lunch today? What are the serving times & prices?
Menus, serving times and prices are available online or you may pick up a hard copy at the senior center.

Do you rent out the centers for family reunions, etc.?
The Locust Grove Conference center is available to rent on weekends through Henry County Parks and Recreation. Please contact Kathy Hunt at (770) 288-7312 or by email at khunt@co.henry.ga.us.

Do you offer exercise classes? Is work out equipment available?
We offer a wide range of exercise classes from beginner to advanced. We do not have exercise equipment, however Henry County Parks and Recreation has facilities with exercise equipment available to the public.

What are the requirements to participate in the exercise program?
You must have a completed senior center registration form and a completed exercise registration packed including the consent form signed by your doctor. You must also participate in an assessment conducted by the exercise coordinator to determine the most appropriate class.

Senior Citizen FAQ

What type of services do you offer for seniors in Henry County other than Senior Centers?
We can provide home-delivered meals, personal care support, respite care, nutritional supplement program, and case management services. Our information and assistance staff can provide additional resources on senior adult needs.

What types of volunteer opportunities are available?
You may contact our volunteer coordinator Shelia Banks via email or at 770-288-6988 for information on our volunteer opportunities.

What are the eligibility qualifications for these services?
Our services are based on need, first and foremost. Due to high demand, there is a waiting list for many of our programs. There is a cost share for the services, based on income. Most services require the client to be age 60 or above.

How can I sign up for Meals on Wheels/ Personal Care Assistance?
The first step is to contact our Information and Assistance staff. They will take preliminary information and walk you through the remainder of the process.

I need help with a legal matter. Can you provide information on persons, businesses and/or organizations that can provide the assistance I need?
Yes. Our Information and Assistance staff has access to a statewide database of senior citizen resources. They can provide you with information on where to get assistance in many different areas.

I need help with groceries. How do I get in touch with the Food Bank?
You may call them directly at (678) 565-6135

I am no longer able to drive. Is public transportation available in Henry County?
Yes. Contact Henry Transit at (770) 288-7433 for additional information.

I need help paying my bills and/or for my medicine, can you help me?
Generally, the Senior Citizens Services department does not provide financial assistance. We can provide referrals to persons and/or organizations that can assist you.


Last updated: Friday October 03 2014

Department of Veterans Affairs

Social Security Administration



Georgia Legal Services Program

National Institute on Aging



Georgia Cares

Henry County, Georgia - Board of Commissioners - County Government