Henry County Fire Department
Explorer Post 190
The purpose behind the Explorer Post is to provide young men and women the opportunity to learn and experience the fire service. This is accomplished by holding weekly meetings in which participants learn about the many facets of the fire dept. While attending these meetings participants receive training much like a firefighter who attends "Rookie School". Most of the training is hands-on; however there is some time spent in the classroom learning from presentations, videos and books. The goal of the members of Post 190 is to earn the privilege of a ride-along where they can learn about the “Daily in the Life of a Firefighter. Explorers who have earned ride-along privileges can respond to calls and assist at emergency scenes.
Henry County Explorer Post 190 was chartered through the Boy Scouts of America in October 2004.
There is actually very little required to become a member of Post 190, but there is a lot to getting the most out of your membership within this post. The biggest and most important factor in making this an enjoyable experience, for everyone, is participation.
There are a few requirements once becoming a member that must be followed:
- Must attend 80% + of the meetings
- Must maintain a "C" average in school, with all passing grades
- Must follow all rules set by the Post
- Must present report card to the Post advisors
- Must be properly dressed at all functions
- Must be 14 but not yet 21
- $15.00 registration fee
Post 190 has one open enrollment period per year, in August. If you are interested in becoming a member, please visit www.post190.com regularly, so that you can be updated as to what date open enrollment is. In order to be considered for membership, you MUST attend an open enrollment night. New members will not be considered between these periods. This ensures all members are on the same training level, as well as ensure a fair opportunity for new members to join.
Meetings are currently held every Monday in McDonough. Special events and meetings are scheduled occasionally.
To Earn Riding Privileges
- Complete all check-offs. This will be explained once becoming a member.
- Be at least 16 years old.
- Have CPR certification.
- Pass a 100 question, multiple choice test covering materials that has been covered at meetings. Tests are taken from 4th Ed Essentials manual.
- Attend at least 3 months of regular meetings with an 80% attendance rate.
After You Have Earned Riding Privileges
- Continue to attend meetings and have an active role in training newer members.
- Maintain an 80% attendance rate at meetings.
- Maintain passing grades in school.
- Continue to expand ones knowledge of the fire service.
Each year Post 190 participates in several annual competitions. They have developed and hope to continue a rich tradition of success bringing home over 50 individual and team awards since 2008. Since October of 2009, Henry County Fire Post 190 has been the host for the Henry Explorer Expo. The event has seen tremendous growth each year and continues to grow attracting participants from as far away as Texas in 2012.
Questions or comments?
Please email: email@example.com or visit the Henry County Fire Department Explorer Post 190 page on Facebook.